My girls love lemon poppyseed muffins. Love them. The store bought loaded with oil and sugar kind. They will tolerate the package mix as well but they will not touch the made from scratch versions that I make. I have tried many recipes with dissappointing results, the biggest disappointment was that they never tasted lemony enough. After 4 different batches I decided to try to make my own. Well hot diggity! They are lemony, moist and not loaded with sugar. Best of all, my girls eat them. I love that.
So here’s my recipe:
The Best Lemon Poppyseed muffins You Will Ever Taste, Ever, Seriously.
(I may have the work on the title)
You will need:
5 Meyer Lemons
2/3 cup of sugar
3/4 cup Sour Cream
2/3 cup of melted room temperature butter
1 Tbs vegetable oil
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-2 dashes of salt
2 Tbs Poppyseeds
Prehet your oven to 350 degrees
1. Zest 2 of the lemons and add to the sugar in a large bowl. Mix using your fingers, rubbing until the sugar is moist with the oils from the lemon zest. This part smells wonderful. It should look like this:
2. Add to the bowl the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and poppyseeds. Stir and then set aside.
3. In a seperate bowl mix the melted butter, milk, sour cream, oil, eggs and the juice from all five lemons. I microwave my lemons for about 15 seconds before juicing because this helps the lemons release more juice.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just moist. Don’t over mix.
5. Spoon into greased muffin tins, this should make about 18 good size muffins or 24 regular size muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops spring back when touched.
Just look at all that lemony goodness!