Did you know that National Cheesecake Day even existed? I definitely did not but what a lovely excuse to make one! Cheesecake is my most favorite dessert ever. I love everything about it and I have yet to meet a piece I didn’t like so I decided I was going to try one I had never made before. Since blueberries are in season and one of my favorite activities to do with my girls is picking berries at the local U-pick farms, I decided blueberry cheesecake would be a perfect choice.
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 1/2 8 ounce packages of cream cheese
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 Tbs cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. For the crust, mix the first three ingredients. Firmly press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. I gave mine a quick spray of Pam before putting the crust in. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
3. To make the sauce, combine 2 cups blueberries and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Cool slightly. You will need to puree about half a cup of the sauce for the filling.
4. Place cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until smooth. Combine 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and salt. Add sugar mixture to cheese mixture; beat well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each one. Pour batter over prepared crust. Pour the 1/2 cup blueberry puree over batter; gently swirl with a knife.
Don’t the colors look gorgeous?
5. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until cheesecake center barely moves when pan is touched. Remove cheesecake from oven; place cheesecake on a wire rack. Cool to room temperature and cover and chill at least 8 hours (this is the hardest part for m!) Remove sides of springform pan.
6. When your ready to serve, pour the blueberry sauce over the top of the cheesecake or you can put it on top of the individual slices, either way works.
When you are done this is what you get for all your effort:
Happy Belated National Cheesecake Day!